So let’s have a chat about the habits of healthy people. Everyone seems to have a different opinion of what the term “healthy” means. With a constant flow of new fad diets and contradicting claims about what is or is not healthy, it’s easy to be confused about what really makes a healthy person. While we can’t change the constant stream of new information, we can present several habits that do help promote a healthy lifestyle and look at habits of being healthy that people who are healthy overall do on a regular basis.
What is a Healthy Person?
While we can’t deny that opinions vary about this, we believe a healthy person is someone of sound mind and body. Healthy people are able to enjoy themselves and are in-tune with their body. It doesn’t mean they have to be an elite athlete or eat a perfect diet, it just means they’ve found a way to balance their needs mentally and physically, allowing them to live their life to the fullest at any given time.
People who live lifestyles that incorporate more healthy habits than unhealthy ones tend to be healthier, happier, and more successful than people who aren’t concerned with their health. No matter where your health may stand right now—you can be one of those people too!
Find Your Passion
What makes you excited? We’re talking excited like children get excited, not just a passing elevated thought. Is it teaching people? Is it learning about computers? Rescuing animals? Cooking? No matter what it is, take note of it and even write it down. The things you are passionate about should be a big part of your life—if they aren’t currently, they need to be.
When you’re truly passionate about something, you’ll find a sense of joy and fulfillment that can’t be matched any other way. This is something different for everyone and that’s what makes the world and the people in it such an amazing, fascinating place.
If you can’t find a way to incorporate your true passion into your daily job, try including it as part of your life through evening and weekend (or whatever time you’re not at work) times.
Understand What Drains You
We don’t mean activities that just make you tired, we mean activities that stress you out, make you feel a sense of dread, and leave you feeling mentally and physically exhausted in a negative way. Are some of these things activities you don’t really need to do?
Take some time to decide what is really important in your life and what isn’t. If you dread going to formal dinner parties but feel the need to go just say you’re going—stop going!
You should only be participating in things that make you happy or serve a direct purpose to the health and well-being of your family. Sure, you may not like getting up at 6am every day to go to work, but you must still provide for your family. It’s weeding out the excess activities that serve no real purpose that is the key to reducing stress and improving happiness and health.
The less time you spend wasting on things that don’t make you happy, the more time you spend on things that do make you happy. Healthy people have this figured out, that’s why they always seem so happy!
In addition to making over your activities and recognizing your passion, there are also habits you can incorporate in your life day to day that will leave you feeling happier and healthier.
5 Healthy Lifestyle Habits to Start Today
1. Stay Hydrated & Well Rested—if we had just one tip we could make everyone follow, this would be it. When you’re well rested and well hydrated, you’re more likely to make positive, healthy decisions regarding your daily activities and even you’re food intake. You’ll also find you have a more positive outlook in general.
2. Eat well—a close runner up to sleep and hydration is proper nutrition. While we don’t expect you to obsess over every bite you take and all the tiny details of macronutrients, we do believe eating natural, wholesome foods more often than not will lead to improved health and wellbeing. When you fuel your body properly, your body will treat you properly. The same goes for your mind. Remember, when you put low quality food into your body, you will get low quality responses from your body and your mind. This results in feeling lethargic, excess weight, skin problems, and mental fogginess.
3. Be Active—a good goal is at least three hours a week, but the perfect amount is different for everyone. This also varies based on your current health and physical abilities. Try to gradually increase the activity you do each day. Even a short walk can go a long way in improving your mood and helping your body run more efficiently. One of our worst enemies today is the sedentary lifestyle people so easily slip into. Being sedentary promotes a depressed mind and lethargic body.
4. Wash your hands—we know this seems like a silly thing to include, but washing your hands regularly throughout the day will help keep you healthier and prevent the spread of illness. It will also help you get a few more steps in!
5. Prioritize and think positive—when you take the step to make what you feel is most important in life what is actually most important in your life, your life will change in remarkable ways. A positive outlook coupled with following your passion and making time for who and what you love will reward you with a healthy, sound mind and a healthier body as a direct result.
Even small, positive changes and healthy habits you start incorporating into your life will make a big difference in your overall health and wellbeing, so start right now with a big glass of water while you think about your true passion!
At our healthy fitness retreats we want to help everyone live a fulfilling, healthy, and happy life. Our activities are geared to help you experience new things while gaining healthy habits you can take with you. Are you making an effort to make your passion a priority in your life , are you cultivating habits of healthy people? Are you implementing some of these healthy habits? Tell us on Facebook or twitter!